With 2024 on the horizon, it’s time to think about the trends that lie ahead. The cosmetic industry is one that’s full of innovation, and we have lots of exciting predictions for the coming year. Here are the trends we expect to see in 2024:
• Metallic finishes: If 2023 was anything to go by, the Y2K aesthetic is making a comeback. Fashion forecasts for 2024 predict low-rise jeans, a staple of the early 2000s. And when it comes to packaging, expect to see shimmery, metallic finishes on shelves. This aesthetic is particularly popular with Gen Zs, whose buying power is growing year on year.
• Tech-infused labels: We’re living in an increasingly digital age, and brands need to embrace this, or risk being left behind. But how does tech fit into the cosmetic industry? Well, consumers can scan QR codes on products, and augmented reality can be used for a virtual try on. Like that, individuals can instantly see how a product would look on them, which helps them to make an informed purchase decision.
• Convenience reigns supreme: As our society becomes more and more advanced, we become increasingly accustomed to convenience. To capitalize on this trend, brands should be looking at introducing hybrid products to their cosmetic collections. For instance, a lip gloss and lipstick in one. Double ended packaging solutions will help to support this, as product manufacturers can incorporate multiple products in one.
• 3D printing: In recent years, the use of additive manufacturing has boomed in popularity. It allows packaging designers to create prototypes of packaging, significantly speeding up the development process. Flaws can be identified quickly and with ease, then the design altered accordingly.
• Sustainability: This is a trend that’s been around for a few years now, but we predict that it’s only going to become more ubiquitous. As the climate crisis becomes increasingly pressing, eco-conscious consumerism is growing. For brands to appeal to a customer base that’s growing increasingly concerned about their impact on the environment, they should consider using sustainable packaging solutions.
Here at APG, we’re constantly on the lookout for the latest trends in packaging innovation, so that we can continue to deliver market-leading packaging solutions to our global clients. To learn more about our capabilities, don’t hesitate to get in touch.